Telephone: 415 743 2824
Jill M. Manning has twenty years of experience representing businesses and consumers in complex and class action litigation, with a focus on antitrust, consumer fraud, false advertising, privacy and data breach cases. Ms. Manning has successfully represented corporate clients and consumers in some of the leading cases brought under federal and state antitrust and consumer protection statutes.
In the antitrust area, she played an integral role in prosecuting one of the nation’s largest indirect purchaser antitrust class actions, In re TFT-LCD (Flat Panel) Antitrust Litig. (N.D. Cal.) ($1.082 billion all-cash settlement) and was recognized by Special Master Martin Quinn as “one of the leaders in structuring and managing the overall document retrieval effort.” Ms. Manning played a lead role in In re Fresh and Process Potatoes Antitrust Litigation (D. Idaho), which settled in 2015, focusing on discovery, the expert economist report, class certification, and settlement. In In re Lithium Ion Batteries Antitrust Litig. (N.D. Cal.), she successfully briefed and argued the opposition to the Toshiba defendants’ motion for summary judgment on withdrawal.
In the consumer protection field, Ms. Manning represents plaintiffs in In re ConAgra Foods, Inc. (C.D. Cal.), a false advertising case challenging ConAgra’s marketing of Wesson Oil products as “100% Natural.” The district court’s order certifying an 11-state class action was affirmed by the Ninth Circuit. Briseno v. ConAgra Foods, Inc., 844 F.3d 1121 (9th Cir. 2017)
In 2013, Ms. Manning was appointed to a four year term on the California State Bar Antitrust, UCL and Privacy Law Executive Committee, and currently serves as Vice-Chair.
Ms. Manning is an elected official, serving on the Board of Trustees of the Shoreline Unified School District since 2009, and as President of the Board of Trustees since 2014.
Ms. Manning earned her law degree from the University of San Francisco (1995), where she served as Editor of the USF Law Review. She received her B.A. in Political Science from the University of California at Davis (1991), and studied art history and comparative politics at Cambridge University, Pembroke College (1990).
Ms. Manning lives in West Marin with her husband and daughter. In her free time, she enjoys gardening, cooking, hiking, and travel, plays competitive tennis, and supports and promotes organic and sustainable farming practices.
Admitted to Practice
- State of California
- United States District Court for the Northern, Central and Southern Districts of California
- United States Court of Appeals, Second and Ninth Circuits
- California State Bar
- Executive Committee: Antitrust, UCL & Privacy Law Section (2013 – Present)
- American Bar Association, Antitrust Section
- Bar Association of San Francisco, Antitrust Section
- The Sedona Conference®
Cases of Interest
- Facebook v. Saverin (Santa Clara Sup. Ct.) Represented Eduardo Saverin, co-founder of Facebook in one of the cases featured in the Academy Award-winning movie, The Social Network, and achieved a confidential settlement.
- Grace v. Apple, Inc. (N.D. Cal.) One of four firms representing plaintiffs in an unfair competition case against Apple for causing FaceTime to stop working on certain iPhone products.
- In re: Aluminum Warehousing Antitrust Litigation (S.D.N.Y.) One of four firms representing corporate opt out companies in an antitrust case involving alleged manipulation of aluminum markets; order dismissing case on appeal in the Second Circuit.
- In re: Broiler Chicken Antitrust Litigation (N.D. Ill.) Represents direct purchaser plaintiffs in an antitrust case against the leading suppliers of broiler chickens sold in the United States.
- In re: ConAgra Foods, Inc. (C.D. Cal.) Represents consumer plaintiffs in a false advertising case challenging ConAgra’s marketing of Wesson oil products as “100% natural.” The district court’s order certifying an 11-state class was affirmed by the Ninth Circuit. Briseno v. ConAgra Foods, Inc., 844 F.3d 1121 (9th Cir. 2017).
- In re: Lithium Ion Batteries Antitrust Litigation (N.D. Cal.) Representing direct purchaser corporate plaintiffs in an antitrust case against manufacturers of lithium ion batteries.
- In re: NCAA Student/Athlete Concussion Injury Litigation – Single Sport/Single School (Football) (N.D. Ill.) Member of Plaintiffs’ Steering Committee in class action case against the NCAA and member schools seeking damages for personal injuries caused by concussions.
- In re: Resistors Antitrust Litigation (N.D. Cal.) Representing indirect purchaser plaintiffs in antitrust case against manufacturers of resistors.
- In re: TFT-LCD (Flat Panel) Antitrust Litig. (N.D. Cal.) Represented end-user plaintiffs in antitrust case; part of the core group of firms that achieved a $1.082 billion all-cash settlement the largest settlement ever of an indirect purchaser antitrust action.
- Sidibe, et al. vs. Sutter Health, et al. (N.D. Cal.) One of four firms representing putative class of consumers of hospital/ medical services in tying case; Ninth Circuit overturned district court’s order granting motion to dismiss.
Publications / Articles
- Trump May Throw Wrench in AT&T Deal, November 23, 2016, The Daily Journal
- California Antitrust and Unfair Competition Law, Revised Edition (2016) Chapter 22 updates, 2014-2016
- Commentary on Defense of Process: Principles and Guidelines for Developing and Implementing a Sound E-Discovery Process (September 2016), Published by The Sedona Conference®
- Food Fights – Recent Developments in Consumer Class Actions Challenging Food Labels Journal of the Antitrust and Unfair Competition Law Section of the State Bar of California (Vol. 23, No. 2. Fall 2014)
Events / Speaking Engagements
- “Celebrating Women in Competition Law in California”, Panelist, San Francisco, June 28, 2017
- “Privacy Law Symposium”, Co-Chair, Los Angeles County Law Library, March 7, 2017
- “’Big Stakes’ Antitrust Trials: In re Cox Enterprises, Inc. Set-Top Cable Television Antitrust Litigation”, Moderator, 26th Annual Golden State Antitrust, Unfair Competition and Privacy Law Institute, November 3, 2016
- “Transparency in Supply Chains Litigation: Plaintiff, Defense and Human Rights Perspectives”, Moderator, California State Bar, Antitrust, UCL and Privacy Law Section webinar, July 28, 2016
- “Cybersecurity Symposium: How to Navigate the Complexities Found at the Intersections of Cybersecurity, Corporate Governance and Government Regulations”, Co-Chair, Stanford University, March 8, 2016
- “Practicing Law and Wellness: Modern Strategies for the Lawyer Dealing with Stress, Substance Abuse, and Depression”, Moderator, California State Bar, Antitrust, UCL and Privacy Law Section webinar, January 27, 2016
- “Privacy and Cybersecurity: An Insider’s View of Government Enforcement and Private Litigation”, Moderator, State Bar of California, Antitrust and Unfair Competition Law Section webinar, February 25, 2015
- “Hot Topics in Competition Law”, Panelist, 86th Annual Meeting of the State Bar of California, October 11, 2013
- “The UCL, FAL and CLRA ‘Go Viral’: Facebook, Google, Apple, Yahoo! Zynga and Other High Tech Cases”, Panelist, 21st Annual Golden State Antitrust and Unfair Competition Law Institute, October 27, 2011
Ninth Circuit rejects “Administrative Feasibility” requirement and affirms certification of 11-state class certification. read more
Jill M. Manning and Scott Macrae publish an article in The Daily Journal. Trump May Throw Wrench in AT&T Deal, November 23, 2016. read more
The Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals reversed the district court’s order dismissing Sidibe v. Sutter Health. The Ninth Circuit in an unpublished memorandum reversed a lower court’s dismissal of a putative class action against hospital operator Sutter Health for allegedly restricting competition in the health care market… read more
Jill M. Manning successfully argued the opposition to Toshiba’s motion for summary judgment. A California federal judge denied Toshiba’s request to be removed from multi-district litigation accusing the company and others of fixing lithium ion battery prices… read more
- Privacy Law Symposium. Jill M. Manning was co-chair of the Privacy Law Symposium, co-sponsored by the California State Bar Antitrust, UCL & Privacy Law section and the Los Angeles County Bar Association, featuring a cutting edge discussion of emerging trends in privacy law by experienced members of the state judiciary, bar, and government. The Symposium was held on March 7, 2017, at the Los Angeles County Law Library, 301 West 1st Street, Los Angeles, CA 90012. more details