Telephone: 415 743 2827
Mr. Rooney’s practice focuses on commercial litigation, real estate, unfair competition and business torts. Mr. Rooney is an experienced trial attorney and has successfully tried cases before juries, judges and arbitration panels.
Mr. Rooney has litigated numerous complex disputes in the banking, education, consumer and high-tech industries. He has handled real estate, trademark, trade secrets, copyright, employment and contract actions in state and federal courts and in various arbitrations. In addition, he has successfully argued various appellate cases in both state and federal court.
With his trial experience to draw on, Mr. Rooney is particularly adept at positioning matters for successful settlements. For instance, after being appointed co-lead Class Counsel by the United States District Court, Middle District of Florida, Mr. Rooney’s efforts led to a landmark $140 million settlement benefiting student victims of a nationwide ponzi scheme. In addition to representing his clients in litigation, Mr. Rooney also counsels his clients on pre-litigation risk management strategies and how to best position matters for successful resolution.
- Santa Clara University – 1993
- University of San Francisco School of Law – 1996
Admitted to Practice
- State of California
- District of Columbia
- United States District Court for the Northern, Eastern, Central and Southern Districts of California
- United States Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
Cases of Interest
- Kilgore v. KeyBank, Nat. Ass’n, 718 F.3d 1052 (9th Cir. 2013) (en banc)
- Grayson v. AT&TCorp., 15 A.3d 219, 223 (D.C. 2011) (en banc)