We have a track record of success in representing individual and corporate plaintiffs in complex and class action cases in California and nationwide, including multi-district litigation. The firm focuses on antitrust, unfair competition, false and misleading advertising, privacy and data breach, investment fraud, unfair employment practices, and securities litigation. We bring extensive trial experience expertise in managing complex litigation involving nationwide claims, litigating novel legal issues, crafting appropriate injunctive relief when monetary relief alone is insufficient, and structuring settlements of complex cases.
The firm regularly litigates cases that are part of multi-district litigation. These cases involve many layers of plaintiffs, defendants and often government entities. Success requires leadership by lawyers who know how to collaborate. We have developed a reputation for being honest, reasonable, collegial, collaborative and creative lawyers who solve problems, not create them, while advocating vigorously on behalf of our clients.
Cases of Interest
- Grace v. Apple, Inc. (N.D. Cal.)
One of four firms representing plaintiffs in an unfair competition case against Apple for causing FaceTime to stop working on certain iPhone products.
- In re: Aluminum Warehousing Antitrust Litigation (S.D.N.Y.)
One of four firms representing corporate opt out companies in an antitrust case involving alleged manipulation of aluminum markets; order dismissing case on appeal in the Second Circuit.
- In re: Anthem, Inc. Data Breach Litigation (N.D. Cal.)
Representing plaintiffs in data breach case.
- In re: Broiler Chicken Antitrust Litigation (N.D. Ill.)
Represents direct purchaser plaintiffs in an antitrust case against the leading suppliers of broiler chickens sold in the United States.
- In re: ConAgra Foods, Inc. (C.D. Cal.)
Represents consumer plaintiffs in a false advertising case challenging ConAgra’s marketing of Wesson oil products as “100% natural;” certification of 11-state class affirmed by the Ninth Circuit. Briseno v. ConAgra Foods, Inc., 844 F.3d 1121 (9th Cir. 2017).
- In re: Disposable Contact Lenses Antitrust Litigation (M.D. Fl.)
Representing plaintiffs in antitrust case.
- In re: Foreign Exchange Benchmark Rates Antitrust Litigation (S.D.N.Y.)
Representing a putative class in an antitrust case challenging price fixing in foreign exchange markets; more than $2 billion in partial settlements approved.
- In re: Generic Digoxin and Doxycycline Antitrust Litigation (E.D. Pa.)
Representing a class of end-payers alleging generic drug manufacturers and marketers conspired to unlawful inflate the price of critical medications.
- In re: International Air Transportation Surcharge Antitrust Litigation (N.D. Cal.) and In re: Transpacific Passenger Air Transportation Antitrust Litigation (N.D. Cal.)
Member of executive committee representing putative class of ticket purchasers against major airline carriers.
- In re: Lithium Ion Batteries Antitrust Litigation (N.D. Cal.)
Representing direct purchaser corporate plaintiffs in an antitrust case against manufacturers of lithium ion batteries.
- In re: NCAA Student/Athlete Concussion Injury Litigation – Single Sport/Single School (Football) (N.D. Ill.)
Member of Plaintiffs’ Steering Committee in class action case against the NCAA and member schools seeking damages for personal injuries caused by concussions.
- In re: Optical Disk Drive Products Antitrust Litigation (N.D. Cal.)
Representing direct purchaser plaintiffs in antitrust case against manufacturers of optical disk drive products.
- In re: Packaged Seafood Products Antitrust Litigation (S.D. Cal.)
Representing corporate direct purchaser plaintiffs in antitrust case.
- In re: Parking Heaters Antitrust Litigation (E.D.N.Y.)
One of three firms representing direct purchaser plaintiff in antitrust case.
- In re: Processed Egg Products Antitrust Litigation (E.D. Pa.)
Representing direct purchaser corporate plaintiffs in an antitrust case against egg producers. Class certified and more than $130 million in settlements pending to date.
- In re: Resistors Antitrust Litigation (N.D. Cal.)
Representing indirect purchaser plaintiffs in antitrust case against manufacturers of resistors.
- Sidibe, et al. vs. Sutter Health, et al. (N.D. Cal.)
One of four firms representing putative class of consumers of hospital/ medical services in tying case; Ninth Circuit overturned district court’s order granting motion to dismiss.
- People ex rel. Orloff v. Pacific Bell
(2013) 31 Cal.4th 1132, 7 Cal.Rptr.3d 315. We filed Amicus Curiae brief in support of successful petition to California Supreme Court addressing jurisdiction of PUC.
- Mulligan v. Pacific Bell
We negotiated a favorable class settlement in an action challenging charges for inside wire maintenance program marketed by telephone service provider.
- Silva v. Provident
We achieved a favorable class settlement in action disputing payment processing and late fee assessments, which included a significant Cy Pres disbursement to Habitat for Humanity.
- Facebook v. Saverin (Santa Clara Sup. Ct.)
Represented Eduardo Saverin, co-founder of Facebook in one of the cases featured in the Academy Award-winning movie, The Social Network, and achieved a confidential settlement.
- In re: Dynamic Random Access Memory (DRAM) Antitrust Litigation (N.D. Cal.)
Member of executive committee; represented indirect purchaser plaintiffs and achieved a settlement of $310 million.
- In re: Fresh and Process Potatoes Antitrust Litigation (D. Idaho)
Member of executive committee; represented direct purchaser businesses in antitrust case; worked with lead counsel to secure an $18.5 million settlement and injunctive relief valued at over $1 billion.
- In re: NCAA Student-Athlete Name & Likeness Licensing Litigation (N.D. Cal.)
Member of executive committee representing class of current and former student athletes in a price fixing conspiracy; $40 million partial settlement with Electronic Arts approved.
- In re: TFT-LCD (Flat Panel) Antitrust Litig. (N.D. Cal.)
Represented end-user plaintiffs in antitrust case; part of the core group of firms that achieved a $1.082 billion all-cash settlement the largest settlement ever of an indirect purchaser antitrust action.
- In re: Static Random Access Memory (SRAM) Antitrust Litigation (N.D. Cal.)
Member of executive committee; represented indirect purchaser plaintiffs and achieved a settlement of over $25 million.
- In re: Visa/Mastercard Currency Conversion Litigation (S.D.N.Y.)
One of the core firms that represented class of plaintiffs in MDL antitrust/Truth in Lending Act action arising from imposition of foreign currency conversion fees by Visa, MasterCard, and banks; obtained a $780 million judgement after a six month trial in California state court and settled for $336 million.
- Carlos A. Alvarez
- Andrew A. August
- Jill K. Cohoe
- Suneel Jain
- Alexander D. Kullar
- Jeffrey H. Lowenthal
- D. Scott Macrae
- Jill M. Manning
- Kelsey F. Morris
- Stacey C. Quan
- Kevin F. Rooney
- Allan Steyer
- Cameron L. Weiss
- Ninth Circuit rejects “Administrative Feasibility” requirement and affirms certification of 11-state class certification
- The Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals reversed the district court’s order dismissing Sidibe v. Sutter Health